On April of last year I made a post ‘10 Things I Have Learned in my First Year of College‘. In an effort to get back to writing about college and my experience (which is the whole point of me blogging), I’m going to do an updated version of the list where some things may be different and some may be the same. I’ll try to make the points in this post reflect points in the old post so we can see how much my opinions have changed over the year. Without further ado, here are 10 New Things I’ve Learned While Being at College!
10 New Things I’ve Learned While Being At College
- Having your best friends as your roommates is a serious perk. I remember last year I said that you don’t have to have your best friend as your roommate. You don’t, but if they are, it makes things all the better.
- When you want to take all of the classes but they interfere with a class you’ve been pre-registered for. This has been my life since day 1. Why must I be pre-registered for things but have other classes I need/want to take AT THE EXACT SAME TIME??? Seriously, every time.
- You make friends by hanging out with your friends and meeting their other friends. I learned this one ten-fold this year, with my roommates being involved in theatre they have theatre friends over and now I’m friends with a bunch of weird and hilarious theatre people.
- Having a car on campus is a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing because if i’m to lazy to walk across campus I can just drive. It’s a curse when I come back from driving across campus and there’s no spaces in the lot and I have to walk a mile to my dorm from my parking space.
- If there’s a will to procrastinate, there’s a way – but still try not to. Yeah, I’m not going to toot my own horn here, I’m the worst procrastinator ever. Last year when i was like “I’m never going to procrastinate again!!” I lied. I’m doing it right now.
- Be willing to do new things with new people. By new things I mean go to a Bernie Sanders rally, or go to a theatre show that doesn’t seem at all interesting, or run a club with a bunch of weirdos.
- If you make it work, you don’t have to do the 3AM cram session. I absolutely refuse to stay up past midnight studying and working. If i stay up any later I just don’t function the next day. Either I make it work or I leave something until the morning. There is no in between.
- Forget about sleeping in on weekends if you have to get up at a set time every weekday. I can’t sleep in anymore. I can wake up at 8:00 and either I’m awake or i’m up for 30 minutes and i’m back asleep until 10. Thats from getting up at basically the same time every day.
- Work + School = Hell. I learned this one the hard way. When you’re only on campus half of the weekends of the semester and the other half your working back at home, you miss out on a lot because OF COURSE all the cool things happen on the days when YOU’RE NOT THERE.
- Do NOT overwork yourself! I learned this in the fall semester the hard way with working so much and forgetting about my school work to the point where I couldn’t sleep at night because I was to focused on all the stuff I should have been doing. Space your time out and don’t overwork yourself, because YOU come first.